tenants rights


Code Defects and Habitability

Are you dealing with a “slum lord?” “Slum lord” refers to a landlord or property owner who rents units that are uninhabitable, refuses to make repairs, harasses, threatens, and refuses to allow you to live in peace. California law provides clear protection to renters regarding the living conditions of rental units. Landlords have a legal duty to provide a place that is safe and secure. Your landlord must fix any problems with your rental unit that affect its habitability. Your landlord is responsible for maintaining the premises to be safe and livable. If you are living in substandard conditions and your landlord fails to address the problem or you are unsure of your rights, then you have options and we can help.

You and your children do not have to accept living in unsafe, unsanitary, uninhabitable conditions.

We understand the stress you are going through.

Our #1 objective is to make everything right for you.


What are my rights?

According to California law, your rental unit must be “habitable,” or fit for living. This means it must be not only be structurally sound, but also sanitary and safe. It must also be in compliance with state and local codes for health and safety. Your landlord must make a rental unit fit to live in before renting anyone the unit. Your landlord must also make any necessary repairs while you and your children are living there, if it becomes unfit.

In order to make a claim against your landlord for slum housing, you must first notify them of the problems. Landlords may not be liable for poor housing conditions if they are not notified of the issue. You should provide your landlord notice in writing and keep a copy of both the notice and any response. 

Is my unit uninhabitable?

Examples that make a rental unit unlivable:

  • Bedbugs
  • Cockroaches
  • Other bugs
  • Rats
  • Mold, mildew
  • Lead
  • Asbestos
  • Flooding
  • No running or hot water
  • No heater
  • No electric
  • Rental unit and surrounding areas are unclean & unsanitary
  • Cracking walls & leaking roof

The landlord generally has 30 days to fix a problem with a rental unit after they are notified by the tenant. However, the time can be shorter depending on what the problem is. Problems that are immediate, such as a flooding, should be addressed in a matter of days. If your landlord delays, call us to enforce your rights! We can expedite the process.

Living in slum-house conditions? 

Contact Us

Interested in a consultation?

Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. The information provided on this website should not be relied upon as legal advice.  This website has been prepared for general informational purposes only.

The use of this website and the transmission and/or receipt of information by and/or through it does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Quadros Law Group.

Quadros Law Group

3250 Wilshire Blvd, 13th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90010

(213) 603 0000